Cornel West Biography
Cornel West is an American philosopher, political activist, social critic, author, and public intellectual. He is well-known for his work on the roles of race, gender, and class in American culture, as well as the ways in which people act and react to their “radical conditionedness.”
How old is Cornel West? – Age
West is 70 years old as of 2023. He was born on June 2, 1953, in Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States, where he also grew up.
How tall is Cornel West? – Height
He stands at a height of 6 feet 2 inches (1.88 m) tall.
Cornel West’s Mother, Father – Family
Cornel was born and raised by his loving and supportive parents, Irene Rayshell and Clifton Louis West Jr. His father, Clifton, worked as a general contractor for the United States Department of Defence, while his mother, Rayshell, was a teacher and principal. Similarly, he grew up alongside his brother Clinton West.
Cornel West’s Education
West attended John F. Kennedy High School for his secondary education. After finishing his secondary education, he enrolled at Harvard University and later at Princeton University, where he earned his PHD.
Is Cornel West Married? – Wife
Cornel is happily married to the love of his life, Annahita Mahdavi, and the couple has two children, Dilan Zeytun West and Clinton West. Previously, he was married to Hilda Holloman in 1977 and then divorced, after which he married Ramona Santiago in 1981 and divorced about 1986. Similarly, he married Elleni Gebre Amlak in 1992 and divorced in 2018. He then married Leslie Kotkin in 2015 and divorced in 2018.
Cornel West’s Career
West is a philosopher, political activist, social critic who is fascinated by how race, gender, and class work in American culture. His philosophical contributions come from a variety of traditions, including Christianity, the black church, and democratic socialism. One of his most noteworthy writings is Race Matters which was published in 1994.
Additionally, he is an active advocate for left-wing politics in the United States. Throughout his career, he has held professorships and fellowships at Harvard University, Yale University, Union Theological Seminary, and Princeton University. Likewise, he is a prominent commenter on politics and social issues in a variety of media venues.
Moreover, he co-hosted the radio show Smiley and West with Tavis Smiley from 2010 until 2013. Similarly, has appeared in various documentaries and in Hollywood films such as The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions. He has also released several spoken word and hip hop CDs, for which he was chosen MTV’s Artist of the Week.
Furthermore, he co-hosts the podcast The Tight Rope alongside Tricia Rose. He frequently converses with his friend, noted conservative scholar Robert P. George, on the meaning of liberal arts education, free speech, and civic discussion at colleges and universities. Prospect magazine ranked him as the fourth-greatest thinker of the COVID-19 era in 2020.
Cornel West’s Net Worth
Cornel has an estimated net worth of $1 Million to $5 Million (Approx.).
- “Black Theology and Marxist Thought”
- Prophesy Deliverance! An Afro-American Revolutionary Christianity
- Post-Analytic Philosophy, edited with John Rajchman
- Prophetic Fragments
- The American Evasion of Philosophy: A Genealogy of Pragmatism
- The Ethical Dimensions of Marxist Thought
- Prophetic Thought in Postmodern Times: Beyond Eurocentrism and Multiculturalism
- Race Matters
- Keeping Faith: Philosophy and Race in America
- Jews and Blacks: A Dialogue on Race, Religion, and Culture in America (with rabbi Michael Lerner
- The Future of the Race (with Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
- Restoring Hope: Conversations on the Future of Black America
- The Future of American Progressivism
- The African-American Century: How Black Americans Have Shaped Our Century
- Democracy Matters: Winning the Fight Against Imperialism
- Commentary on The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions; see The Ultimate Matrix Collection (with Ken Wilber)
- Hope on a Tightrope: Words & Wisdom
- Brother West: Living & Loving Out Loud
- The Rich and the Rest of Us: A Poverty Manifesto (with Tavis Smiley)
You can find and follow West on Twitter using the account name: @CornelWest