Homer Edwin Young Biography
Homer Edwin Young is an American pastor who serves as the senior Gospel minister at Houston’s Second Baptist Church. Pastor Ed Young and his children are church ministers in their own right, with his eldest son, Edwin Barry Young, serving as senior pastor.
How old is Homer Edwin Young? – Age
Young is 87 years old as of 2023. He was born on August 11, 1936, in Laurel, Mississippi, United States, where he also grew up.
How tall is Homer Edwin Young? – Height
He stands at a physical height of 5 feet 6 inches (1.60 m) tall.
Homer Edwin Young’s Mother, Father – Family
Homer was born and raised by his loving parents in Laurel, Mississippi, United States. However, information regarding his father’s and mother’s identites is still unclear. It is also not known whether he has any siblings or not.
Homer Edwin Young’s Education
Edwin enrolled as an engineer major at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa after finishing high school. Later, he answered the call to ministry by enrolling in Mississippi College in Clinton. Similarly, in Wake Forest, North Carolina, he attended South eastern Baptist Theological Seminary.
Is Homer Edwin Young Married? – Wife
Homer is currently single because his wife, Jo Beth Young, died at the age of 80. They had been married for 58 years and had three children: Ed Young, pastor of Fellowship Church in Grapevine, Texas, Ben Young, associate pastor at Second Baptist Houston, and Cliff Young, director of Second Films and leader of the Christian folk/pop group Caedmon’s Call, as well as 11 grandchildren.
Homer Edwin Young’s Career
Young began his career as a pastor in North Carolina, against his father’s desires. He pastored Taylors First Baptist Church and First Baptist Church Columbia in South Carolina before transferring to Second Baptist Church Houston. Second Baptist increased from an average weekend attendance of 500 in 1978 to a membership of more than 80,000 in 2019.
Additionally, he was a forerunner of the multisite church, and Second Baptist became one church with two locations in 1999. Second Baptist Church has six campuses in the Houston metropolitan region as of the spring of 2015. Most notably, he helped to create and organise Houston’s relief efforts following Tropical Storm Allison and Hurricanes Katrina as well as the COVID-19 pandemic.
Moreover, during his sermons, he sparked debate by asking for progressive local officials in Houston and Harris County to be thrown out due to rising homicide rates. Some have called for his church’s tax status to be revoked in response to his politically heated remarks. He has also been chastised for his leadership of the Southern Baptist Convention in the prevention of sexual abuse in churches.
Homer Edwin Young’s Net Worth
Citing his career as a gospel minister, Homer has an estimated net worth of $5 Million to $11 Million (Approx.).
- The 10 Commandments of parenting: The Do’s and Dont’s for Raising Great Kids
- Total Heart Health for Men Workbook: Achieving a Total Heart Health Lifestyle in 90 Days
- Been There. Done That. Now What?: The Meaning of Life May Surprise You
- Romancing the Home: How to Have a Marriage That Sizzles
- Against all odds: family survival in a hostile world
- X-Trials : Takin’ Life to the Extreme
- You! The Journey to the Center of Your Worth
- The Ten Commandments of Marriage
- The purpose of suffering
- David, after God’s own heart
- A winning walk
- In The Zone. Creality Publishing
- The Creative Leader – Unleashing the Power of Your Creative Potential
- Kid CEO – How to Keep Your Children From Running Your Life
- Rating Your Dating While Waiting For Mating
- Know Fear – Facing Life’s Six Most Common Phobias
- High Definition Living – Bringing Clarity to Your Life’s Mission
- The Creative Marriage – The Art of Keeping Your Love Alive
- Can We Do That? 24 Innovative Practices That Will Change the Way You Do Church
- Fatal Distractions – Overcoming Obstacles That Mess Up Our Lives.
You can find and follow Young on Twitter using the account name: @WinningWalk